Friday, March 12, 2010

Frico Salad



I had to make these when I saw them.

Yes, they're ridiculous. They're little baskets made out of parmesan cheese and they're ladylike as all hell. Plus, calling them fricos really helps them rise above the white trash stigma associated with shaping anything out of cheese. I witnessed Giada making them the other day-- she was doing some lonely-ladies-luncheon or something and I knew if I wanted to be a real lady... I had to make these little fricos.



The technique is pretty much the same as with the fortune cookies I made last month... only these parmesan cups have zero prep time. Again, you must work very fast when shaping the basket, so I suggest making very small batches.

Instead of using Giada's spinich salad, I made the greatest salad ever, which I make allll the time. At first it seems a bit labor intensive, but it's totally worth it. You will never want regular, cold salad dressing again! Here's the original recipe from some show called Food 911. Unfortunately I never have prosciutto sitting around the house (I usually just eat it right out of the package as soon as I bring it home), so this has turned into a sort of kitchen sink recipe, throwing in whatever I've got sitting around and omitting what I don't have-- but it always turns out awesome.

Parmesan Frico Cups (via Giada De Laurentiis' recipe)

Makes 2 Fricos

Ingredients:
½ Cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Place ¼-cup mounds of parmesan cheese onto a nonstick baking sheet or silpat and gently tap down until each mound is flat and 5 inches in diameter.

2. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.



3. Working quickly, use a thin spatula to transfer to a muffin tin or ramekin. Gently place a small drinking glass on top of the frico to mold it into shape.


Let cool until firm, about 5 minutes. (You can make these ahead of time, stored in the fridge for a few days.)



Wilted Spring Salad

Ingredients:
2 Cups spring mix
6 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, split in half
¼ Cup onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. each chopped almonds and dried cranberries
2 Tbs. each diced apple and cucumber
Gorgonzola, to taste
Salt and pepper

1. Coat a saute pan with half of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the clove of garlic and a bit of cracked black pepper to infuse the oil as it heats. Remove and discard the garlic after it's turned light brown and aromatic.
 


2. Saute the onions until they are slightly brown and tender, about 5 minutes.

3. Scrape the mixture on top of the salad and return the pan to the stove. Add both vinegars and scrape up the bits at the bottom of the pan. That's deglazing for all you ladies out there.

4. Whisk in remaining oil and honey. Continue to whisk until all ingredients are emulsified, about a minute. Add almonds and cranberries to coat.

5. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad. Season with salt and pepper, add in apple and cucumber, toss. Divide salad and stuff into fricos. Top with Gorgonzola.



6. Bask in the glory of a tiny serving size befitting a true lady's lunch.

And hey: although these are wonderful and dainty, I think next time I will go the other route and make one giant frico salad bowl. My life is so exciting. Please stay tuned.

No comments: